Sunday, October 1, 2017

Hunt Club Farm 2017: Event Food Update

Remember when I thought I'd make a blogging career out of just traveling around and rating event food?
Yeah, that was a bad idea.
Anyway, what is important is that I love event food.  I'll eat things off a truck or gaudily decorated carnival stand that I wouldn't even think of eating in a regular restaurant.
SIDEBAR: There's a business proposal for you.  We all know food trucks are the hipness of late, but what about a 5 star restaurant that only serves event food.  Sort of flip the script.  It's only fair, considering that food trucks are serving some truly amazing things these days, with fusion cuisine and top prices.  Wait, event food, only fair.  Oh, the puns slay me.

As I was saying...
The event food at Hunt Club Farm is split between the Farm's own concession kitchen, a small building not unlike what we had at the old high school football field with an old range top for cooking and a cooler for bottled drinks.  The menu is fairly big for the size of the building including a breakfast sandwich, the well-known "walking taco" (a bag of Doritos topped with taco fillings), pizza by the slice, and hot dogs.  Beside that is a smaller shack where a woman sells candy apples, caramel apples, and sliced "apple fries" for the bold.  We chose the chili cheese dogs.  An all beef frank cooked in an iron skillet (always is food better when infused with ferrous metals, it is what makes a body strong) topped with a generous portion of proper no bean chili sauce and a zesty (that is, nachoesque) cheese sauce.  Lovely.  Theo had a slice of pepperoni and a pickle on a stick.  Rob had a pickle on a stick.  This is a massive gherkin, your chain I'm not jerkin'.  A pickled cucumber the size of a baby's arm.  The pickle was pungently dilly, the throat tightening joy you get from really good vinegar and salt chips.
A carnival stand some 100 yards away offered deep fried Oreos, lemonade (in a collectible cup, that yes I did purchase, but it was real lemonade and that's always good), funnel cakes and the prize treat, the smoked turkey leg.
Smoked raptor leg, more like.  That thing was huge.  The hefty 10 dollar price tag was not so bad when one considers that nobody finishes it anyway.  The legs were being smoked on site in a huge grill and the smell was intense.  I was tempted, but a funnel cake had to be eaten and that was also on offer.
What can be said about a funnel cake?  Doughnut in the form of intestines covered in a generous snow shower of powdered sugar.  Served on a paper plate that said "Funnel Cakes" with a napkin.  That's glory and joy, it is.
The only way you will get a negative from me is if you burn my funnel cake.  No such thing occured.

One vendor sold fudge and hot Bavarian nuts, which I adore but passed up in a favor of a classic candy apple.  Hard coated apples designed to bring business to dentists are a favorite of mine.  There were a variety of caramel covered apples, with nuts, no nuts, bits of sprinkles...I stick with my classic.

A hot harvest tea full of mulling spices was on offer as well, but I did not partake.

I give the Hunt Club Farm event food a 7 out of 10 for options and an 8 out of 10 for what I consumed.



3 comments:

  1. Now I'm hungry for event food. When I was married, we'd go to the Peanut Festival in Dothan (It's not as stupid as it sounds. School bands, professional performers, businesses, farmers and politicians come from three states for this shindig.) The kids rode rides, while I ate. One of the top items was homemade corn dogs made by a fellow known to us only as The Corn Dog Man, a hero of event feasting in LA (that's Lower Alabama to us locals.) Local band boosters and boy scouts also made good funnel cakes and elephant ears, but next to the corn dogs, my fave was an ear of corn roasted in the husk with various butters and seasonings with which to top and flavor it. I'm getting fatter just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice you did not mention any peanut products. Allergen Warning: This festival is all up fulla peanuts.
    I could go for a roasted-in-the-husk ear of corn myself. Now I want popcorn. Crap. This has gotten all out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, they have peanuts. I like roasted peanuts, but the aforementioned edibles are my faves.

      Delete