Friday, October 20, 2017

WTFZ

What The F@#$ Zombie?
We've seen many zombie costume ideas this year, but as with any trend there are things that make you scratch your head and wonder available out there.  Sometimes they work, but sometimes you are left feeling that the designer missed the class where they teach ironic juxtaposition in joke telling.  Sometimes we have the surreal, and that's good for its own reasons.  Then sometimes we have zombie fruit.

Here we have a Zombie Banana.  It's weird, I'll give it that.  Grab this little one piece slip over number and pair it with basic black for a zombie banana.  A banana that stalks.  Note the brain.  Just living fruit (okay, I realize plants are alive, don't be so pedantic) with facial features is already pretty cool for a costume concept, but in this case we've just taken one thing and stuck ZOMBIE on it to get your 49 bucks.  
Who's that, Death Doler?  I see your brought a friend.  Zombie Penguin!
Ahhh, shit...ahhh, he's got a tie!
Now here's that great example of surrealism I was talking about up top.  Penguins are birds in tuxedos.  Get it?  So it has a bow tie.  That's a nice touch.  It's actually a decent little number, but I'd give extra points for flipper feet.  I know, penguin's don't have swim fins for feet, but go have a look at a penguin's feet and tell me if a pair of black shoes is a better choice than some yellow swim fins.  Ah ha, that's what I thought.
Rick Grimes Bath Robe: The true WTF of this picture.  So many things come to mind.  Why a bathrobe?  Why in a Halloween catalog?  To what sort of party is this guy going?  (Actually, we don't want to ask or know, do we?)  I implore you, if you have money to burn and you are just dying for an official Rick Grimes Walking Dead bathrobe, with simulated wounds and badges and logo on the back...start doing drugs.  Just go ahead and start doing blow now.  You'll get much more out of it.  That guy in the picture...I just feel bad for him.  He's not happy.  He showed up for the photo shoot thinking, "All right!  I got the Grimes costume.  I've been going to Pilates, I've had my half-caff soy latte, I'm ready to roll" and they were like, "Go ahead and pop your clothes on the chair, your costume is behind the screen".  He comes out wearing the robe thinking it's a courtesy robe and asks where the costume is, and they say, "Good, good, but lose the socks".
It's a shit game, modeling.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course...
"What, Rook, you don't like the animal masks?" you ask.
Neigh, I say.  I like them fine.  
There is something simple and fun about them.  I'm not attacking this mask.  I'm saying it causes one to do a bit of a double take, but that's a good thing, yes?  It doesn't require explanation, but man is it disturbing.  If you get invited to a party and the theme is zombies (or you want to go on a Zombie Walk, and I don't know why you would do that, but to each his own) a zombie horse mask is a very nice spanner in the works.  You have met the theme requirement and still managed to be different.  And disturbing.  Bonus points if you can get a friend to dress up as a zombie jockey or cowboy and piggyback into the party.
Okay, I've been saving this one for last...
"Blaaarrgggh boogity blah!"
The PIZZA FIEND!
Full disclosure, when I first saw this mask on the internet I balked.  I thought it was ridiculous; all the more because it came up in a "zombie" search.  Monster, absolutely.  Zombie?  It has an Ed "Big Daddy" Roth vibe to it.  (Ask your parents, kids).
Which is why, I suspect, it started to grow on me.
I see so much potential for this mask.  Get one of those stereotypical Chef Boyardee/Mario Batali shirts, a pizza cutter...oh yeah...I've done a mock up for you for inspiration:

Oh baby. 
Zombie or not, the Pizza Fiend has to be a part of your Halloween.  

Zombie on and keep your pumpkins lit!


No comments:

Post a Comment