Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving gorging complete

Whew.
The roast boar's leg was amazing.  My wife's efforts (and my own, however small) did not go unappreciated.  We had to marinate the leg overnight in a red zinfandel and spice mixture, then score it and clove dot it, basting throughout, but the meat was tender and succulent.
Along with this we had cornbread stuffing with venison sausage in.
A bread pudding (normally I find vile, but again, Frau Punkinstein has magic cooking powers), a chicken and dressing (made by my father in law), deviled eggs and some watergate salad (by my mother in law), a great pineapple 7-up cake by the ever-stoic Rob, and some other vegetables we put on the table.  My wife's cranberry sauce, which she always makes herself, so it is sweet and tart and delicious.
And my dad came to see us, but he made a trip to Gatlinburg, Tennessee first to provide for me a personal favorite I never get:
Fried Apple Pies!  Obtained from the Apple Barn in Sevierville, TN.  Oh, man...
http://www.applebarncidermill.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_static.php?file=static_comeVisit

So all in all, it was a good day.
Today we are going to Busch Gardens for Christmas Town's opening day.  I will do a report over on Jul Pumpkin later, when I have pictures and something to report.

Hope you all enjoyed your feast.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing Thanksgiving! You are making me hungry from the descriptions. I also live near Gatlinburg and those fried pies are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you are just over the line, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am most impressed with you feast. Well done, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever had any of the apple wine from the Apple Barn winery? MMMMMMgoood....and the fried chicken is really good from there too!

    Glad you guys had a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds awesome! I'm glad it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete