Thursday, October 19, 2017

Zombie DIY

It occurs to me that zombie can just as easily be a DIY project, given what I've said about zombies being normal folks that become dead and don't have the decency to stay in their graves.  To that end, you have options for your zombie costume.  If you'd been to any local haunted houses, haunted hayride, or zombie walk, you've no doubt seen plenty of homemade zombie costumes and looks.
Of course the easy start is to get a mask.  Masks have a few advantages.  Namely they do not require spirit gum adhesive to put on appliances, which are prone to falling off under stress, tearing, and possible allergic reaction to the adhesive itself.  Unlike make up, masks don't smear or run when you sweat.
Spirit Halloween assures me this is a zombie mask of some kind.  I suspect you could get away with a minimalist costume with that mask.  No need for special hands or jutting bones, but you can always go that route if you like.  Personally I think it looks more like a dude that was snorting coke and found that it was cut with BC powder and Drano.
Now here's a pair, full rotters they are.  I confess, and I may have done so already, that I prefer the advanced rotting zombie look.  Both of these are winners then, in my book.  If you go this route you really want to make your clothing look tatty, maybe even darn near disintegrated from grave rot.  Throw some worms into the mix too, and at least make sure you've gotten some zombie glove hands.  As I always say, make an effort.
The comics trio, because I'm pretty sure these are all from EC comics covers.  Excellent masks, but if you want to use them as the basis for a zombie costume you have your work cut out for you.

Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

Just another option.  Not much to say here except, dang.  Chubby cheeks.  Probably can go with a regular set of clothes just fine.

Maybe masks aren't your thing.  I know they aren't mine.
Oh, I think they look great, and they are convenient, but they don't really allow you to emote and you end up breathing your own nacho-infused carbon dioxide and sweat gets in your eyes and it's unpleasant.  Then you take it off for a breather and a frosty adult beverage and you are suddenly out of costume.  I put on a full Smoky Bear outfit for extra duty one time, to educate small children about the dangers of fires.  It was hot, I couldn't see, and I caught a few nut shots due to the comparative height of me to them.  All of which is why you might prefer make-up.
Make-up has its own advantages and disadvantages.  Make-up is lighter than a mask by far and you have more personalization options.  It also clogs pores, is not friendly to a person that is given to sweating, and you might be allergic.  Really good theatrical make-up is expensive, cheap make-up is a get what you pay for situation.  If you don't have any skills in art or make-up you might find you look downright stupid as well.
Prosthetic appliances can be a bitch too.  I did a scar one year and it kept coming lose due to it's placement on my jaw.  That's pretty annoying.  If you've ever watched Face Off on SyFy, you know all about the painting and blending problem.  Most appliances are sold unpainted or in a single flesh tone.  This means you have to paint and blend them.  If you've got the skills and the time (or know someone who has those things) you can make a killer costume and make it original.  Otherwise you look like a chump with some bad rubber stuck to your face.
Hey, Lon Chaney worked cinema miracles with cotton, make-up, and wires.  Rick Baker can win an Oscar with some latex and a bag of popcorn.  Most of us aren't those guys.

But hey, it's up to you.  Just have fun.  And don't set your face on fire smoking while using adhesive.

Keep your pumpkins lit.

No comments:

Post a Comment